Sunday, March 3, 2013

A weekend in Cali

Disney is one of those places that no matter how old you are, you are bound to have a great time.  Last Thursday I was lucky enough to go to Disneyland for a day by myself. Now, Disneyland is so much fun and was one of those experiences that I will always remember, but it is a little strange to go to a place like Disney all by yourself.  Though Disney is somewhere that everyone can have fun it is centered around. So as I sit in lines and look around it makes me think two things. 1. I miss my family so much and I should be thankful that God blessed me with such a wonderful family. 2.  I realized how much I want a family of my own. Seeing so many loved ones share such a beautiful experience showed me that a family is one of those things I desire in my heart. Just people I can create memories with, people to love, and most importantly people I can share the rest of my life with.

One of the most interesting experiences I had while in Disney was the time I was given to pray. A few months ago someone I care about dearly sent me a rosary bracelet.  I would say for the first time since getting the bracelet it really got used. Yes I was surrounded by hundreds of people almost the whole entire time while in Disney, but knowing nobody I sat there in silence as I would sit in line to ride different rides. I figured the best way to use this time would be to just have a conversation with God. So I would I take the bracelet and pray a Rosary. Now, I never thought that the first time I got a day of prayer would be at Disney, but it was.  Disney's motto is "where dreams come true." I find this motto true to my experience there last Thursday. I was given the chance to pray and got to see the beauty of a family and that is the most I could ask for.

Now, the weekend didn't stop at the amazing experience I had in Disney. The weekend continued to one of the best conferences I could have gone to. I was given the opportunity to participate in the religious education congress in Anaheim, California.  At this conference I got to go different workshops all about Catholic youth ministry. Each workshop provided its own spin on youth ministry from a variety of great speakers.  One of my favorite speakers and workshops was "lion in the rock" by Mike Patin. The workshop was on the basis of finding the best in some of the most frustrating teens. It was based off the story of a boy walking home from school everyday seeing this man chisel at this big boulder. The child stopped walking by that rock because it was summer. The next year he came back and saw this beautiful lion sculpture. Sometimes as people we don't see the best in every situation. This is showing that there can be beauty in some of the strangest places.

The workshops were all amazing and I was lucky enough to get multiple motivational speakers, but Saturday night was the most moving experience.  Saturday night started with the young adult mass at the conference. The mass was beautifully done with great music by the Jacob and Mathew band, the priest was perfect for the mass and I am normally not a fan of liturgical dance but it was so beautifully done that it was very moving. After this beautiful mass with hundreds if not thousands of young adults I was able to go to dinner with a priest from Southeast Alaska, Father Thomas Weise. Father Thomas and I had a beautiful conversation about vocations and ministry in Alaska. This conversation was the first time I have been able to have a serious one on one discussion about vocations with a priest and I would not say that it was what I was expecting. We had a talk about marriage and I explained to him that I feel like I'm the male version from the movie "27 Dresses" because I will have been a groomsmen in 4 weddings after this summer and have no plans of getting married anytime soon which is frustrating. Father Thomas replied with "well if you were a priest think of how many weddings you. Would get to preside over."

Now any one that knows me knows that I have been set on marriage and starting a family. The idea of becoming priest really hadn't crossed my mind since high school. Recently, the thought of being a priest has been hitting me harder and harder. I blame it partially on working for the church, but part of me wants to be part of something greater.  What can be greater than the Catholic church? Nothing. But I am 23 years old and to think about the rest of life is kind of scary. All I know right now is that I am in the place that I am suppose to be.  I can say that I completely feel called to Youth Ministry in this part of my life right now.

But back to weekend...

After this amazing dinner with a great priest from Southeast Alaska I met some of the most amazing people.  I decided to go to the young adult dance not knowing a single person because anyone knows me knows that I love to dance. Not knowing anyone seemed to not be a problem. I well tell you right now that being catholic is one of the most beautiful things in the world because we share that bond with each other. Walking into the dance I met two wonderful people and soon three more joined our group.  We hung out the entire night and probably one of the most fun nights I have had in a long time. We shared our faith so it felt like I knew these people forever. The people I met are those types of people that you know you will stay in touch with.

Now, the weekend was exactly what I needed. Everyday up here I wonder if I am really spreading God's word, but this weekend clarified that I was.  It gave me a motivation that I had been lacking for a while. God does not make mistakes and especially in the ways he wants you to live. God provided me with a beautiful opportunity up here and it is my time to do exactly as he wants me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment