Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Little Acts of Kindness Brighten a Day



I know jumping ahead a little bit by this picture but I have to start somewhere.  This picture shows the first snow of winter on October 30, 2012 in Juneau, Alaska. This is not just some random picture where I am showing off how amazing Juneau is, but this picture was taken moments before the most loving children ran over to help me clean off my car so I could get to my meeting I thought I would be late for.   The one act of kindness that would spur a day that would seem horrible to most people but turned out to be a great day.

Being from South Carolina I never really learned to drive in this kind of weather. The roads were slick and I was sliding every where, but I stayed on the road and kept control. The problem was that my car didn't want  to go up hill. As I began to turn in front of the State Capital building my car began to slide right up against the curb and I was on a hill so I was stuck there for a while. But who knew the hospitality of Alaskans, I had three people offer to help me push it out, one person to put salt under my tires, and the Priest from the Cathedral come running down the road to help me. Now you can't find that kindness everywhere.

Kindness doesn't stop there. After the whole fiasco in downtown I finally made it back into the Valley. The Valley is where my main office (AKA The Bat Cave) and some of the most amazing people work. St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church has two of the most wonderful ladies working there. They are always making sure that I am alright and that I am taken care, so mom if you ever read this I am taken care of. But on top of that the front office lady got me lunch because she knew the trouble my car was having. A lot of people wouldn't do that for every body, but hey this place amazes me everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment